Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: Russ Geschke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 1 Mar 2018 14:40:59 -0600

Recorded excerpts of the 3 and 11 March 1933 Metropolitan performances of
"Tristan und Isolde" with Melchior and Leider are posted on YouTube.  A CD
devoted to all the surviving excerpts of those performances has been issued
by Christian Zwarg not (as I had thought) on his Truesound Transfers label
but under the auspices of the Frida Leider Gesellschaft, hence the CD's
catalog number FLG 11031933.  That CD is available from Norbeck, Peters &
Ford (go to their online site, search Frida Leider, and scroll down to
locate the CD).  Zwarg's transfers are excellent, but there is only so much
he could do with these recordings, which are as one reviewer wrote
"primitive" -- as the YouTube postings demonstrate.  Although I personally
prefer recordings of stage performances, and collect and treasure transfers
of the really primitive 1901-1903 Mapleson cylinders, the 1933 Leider "live"
recordings from the Metropolitan seem superfluous (except perhaps to Leider
and or Wagner "completests") given that we have her superb and superbly
recorded studio recordings, and the much better recorded excerpts of stage
performances of Gotterdammerung (the 1934 Bayreuth snippet with Lorenz and
the 1938 Covent Garden performances).  Zwarg-Frida Leider Gesellschaft have
also issued (FLG 193434) excerpts of Leider in Die Walkure at the Met in
February 1934 and the sound is only slightly more listenable than the
Tristan excerpts -- but at least that CD (also available from Norbeck
Peters) has the 1934 Gotterdammerung snippet and excerpts of Die Walkure
with Leider, Muller and Bockelmann (Bayreuth 6 August 1934).  It is
understandable to want to seek out anything the survives of Leider because
she was the greatest of Wagner sopranos, being approached only by Flagstad
and perhaps Lubin, and having no subsequent equals.