Subject: Re: Vocal Training and Two Great Tenors
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 5 Mar 2018 21:28:13 -0800

Sorry to drift the thread from its tenor subjects, but the vocal pedagogy story I’d really love to hear in more detail  (and again, sorry, I’ve mentioned this before) are the lessons that transpired with a soprano with, in her words, a “thin light voice” who, after studying with a Dr. Gillis Bratt, who taughf her to “close her vocal cords” emerged as Kirsten Flagstad.

Whatever happened produced a singer who, in later years, lost a few top notes but gained  a contralto richness in her lower register (not something that happens to very many aging sopranos) and who never, ever demonstrated the slightest hint of a wobble.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone