Subject: Re: CDs was: Re: The 1937 Salzburg Don Giovanni
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Feb 2018 18:15:22 -0800

If I buy a CD, it’s only to rip it ASAP onto a computer and move to music server.

I still use iTunes as a convenient way to rip and edit metadata. All of my player apps and mobile player have limited field length for individual tracks, so if all the track names come off the database preceded by “Wagner: Der Fliegende Holländer: Act ...” I’ll never find Senta’s Ballade or the big duet. So I have to edit.

I’m a snob for sound quality. If there’s a high res download available, that’s what I’ll buy: from HDTracks, Acoustic Sounds or prestoclassics.co.uk. Presto Classics is interesting because they frequently have “CD quality” FLAC downloads of CD material not available in higher res.

Even with downloads I have to edit Metadata to keep things organized. One of the sites decided that the “Album Arist” of the high res Karajan/Price “Tosca” was Carlo Cava.

I’ve had two LaCie external drives crash on me. The first time something of a catastrophe because then I didn’t have my 3 Tb iTunes library backed up. Glad I hadn’t disposed of the CDs.

Now I have my music on a Synology NAS system with internal backup.

Aside from the convenience of pulling up whatever I want via search on my iPad, my Linn network music player (DS Klimax) has the best DAC in my system,so the music soinds better than played on any optical CD player.

I do still buy SACDs and Blu-Ray audio discs.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone