Subject: Re: Parsifal 2/23/18
From: Andrew Moravcsik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:54:35 +0000

This seems an odd reaction to me, given what I heard in the house. Perhaps someone is twisting dials. I thought it was in most respects one of softer (perhaps the softest) live PARSIFAL I have ever heard. I agree that Pape was often inaudible--for example in parts of the Karfreitag scene, when he was inexplicably sent way upstage--but that is on him, not the conductor. At that point, YNS had them as soft as such an orchestra could be and you still could not hear him from Row H. For 10 years now he has not had the strength of voice in this type of role that he had before. And he was never like Moll, Talvela et al.--a different type of voice.

Andy Moravcsik
Princeton, NJ