Subject: Re: CDs was: Re: The 1937 Salzburg Don Giovanni
From: Willliam Heron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Feb 2018 12:49:53 -0500

I agree with my friend, Bill Kasimer.  After reading an article about
Swedish death cleaning (https://tinyurl.com/ybmvl5fe), I've been going
through my 4000+ commercial CDs, trying to get rid of at least some of them,
so my wife and children will have less of a burden.  In the past, I used my
Amazon Seller Account to list something no longer wanted, but Amazon now
blocks individuals from selling single CDs, DVDs and videos... probably for
fear these are illegal counterfeits.  Ebay is still a possibility, but I
find it much more complicated, so I only use it when an item is worth more
than a couple of dollars.  The rest end up at the local library thrift shop.

For more recent purchases, I try to find a downloadable file when possible.
There is definitely less of a "footprint".  With the price of external hard
drives being so low, storage is easy.  What's more, I found a free PC
utility called Everything
(http://download.cnet.com/Everything/3000-2379_4-10890746.html) which
indexes all the computer drives (external and internal), and instantly helps
me find whatever I have saved on the PC.  I just type "Aida Nilsson" or
"Beethoven 9 2017" to instantly search every directory, sub-directory or
file.  Once I've found what I'm looking for, I just click on the file and
I'm listening.  It certainly beats the complicated filing programs I used to
use.

Bill mentioned CDRs with adhesive labels.  I have a ton of those too.  As I
think I mentioned here before, the newest Blu-Ray drives are often able to
read these disks (in fact, I've yet to find one which cannot be read).  For
those disks I "cannot live without", I have been transferring these to the
hard drive as well.  I know, nothing lasts forever, but having an extra copy
of these irreplaceable items is time well spent.

The "other Bill"