Subject: Re: CDs was: Re: The 1937 Salzburg Don Giovanni
From: william kasimer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Feb 2018 08:14:38 -0500

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 23:51:18 -0500, James Camner <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I don't understand clinging to CDs. They are obsolete. They do not last; before I got rid of
>my CDs, they were deteriorating with clicks occurring at alarming rates.

Except for CDR's with adhesive labels, which almost always fail, my experience has been
rather different.  I've been buying CD's for 35 years, and the oldest are still in my
collection, playing every bit as flawlessly as they did when I bought them.  And my CD's
have program notes and libretti.

>Many of the
>specialty issues from smaller companies on CD-Rs had ceased to play altogether.

That's because they're poorly made CDR's, probably with adhesive labels.

>And it is harder and harder to find a player for them

You must not be looking very hard.  If my player died right now, I'd be able to buy a new
one by noon.

>and most new laptops are dropping it.

Because a lot of people don't need them.  It's easy enough to buy an external USB-driven
DVD/CD drive for $25, or even a Blu-Ray drive for under $100.

>I've had many conversations with sound librarians on both coasts and no one I've talked
>sees a CD as something that is viable long term.

This is true - because it's impossible for a library to keep them in playing condition.  People
who borrow CD's from the library abuse them.

>Streaming is it now and will only get easier. I adore my iTunes Music subscription,
anytime I
>want to hear something, it is immediately available.

I use Spotify, and agree that the convenience is great - if they actually offer what I want to
hear.  And if they continue to maintain it in their catalogue of offerings.

>I'm only sorry that some of the
>companies who do unique and important work like Marston are resistant to it.

They're resistant because they do unique and important work for a niche audience, and
recognize that offering their products on streaming services will render their businesses
unsustainable.  And I'm not convinced that streaming is the best thing for the music
industry, given how little the performing artists are reimbursed for streaming.  I use Spotify
to audition music, particularly new releases.  If I like it enough that I want to hear it again,
I buy it, either as a download or as a physical CD, particularly if it's on a small label by a
relatively obscure artist.  And if Spotify goes belly-up (while they may be "successful", I
understand that Spotify is still not making a profit), I'll still have the music I want to play.

And all of the above assumes that the sound quality of streaming services is comparable to
physical CD's, which isn't always the case by any means.

Bill