Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: Mike Leone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Feb 2018 07:20:50 -0500

Hello all--

Winner:  Chants d'Auvergne

Runner-up:  Shostakovich 13th (first discovered on an Everest LP of a tape of one of the initial performances before the work was suppressed and that was smuggled out of the USSR, or something like that; still a favorite recording of the work just because of the unusual circumstances surrounding it)

Second runner-up:  Haydn's Nelson Mass

I have loved Carmina Burana ever since I discovered it on a Parliament LP conducted by Václav Smetáček back in the late 1960s.  I always enjoy the work when I come across it.

Mike Leone

Ecco il Leone!

Sent from my iPhone

Modify your settings: