Subject: Re: Lease favorite non-operatic work.
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Feb 2018 00:53:19 -0500

I still remember a chorographed version of Carmina by Michael Uthoff, done when I was a
teen. Very fun to watch.

And I agree. Musically it has to be done WELL - the choral singing has to be healthy and
clean, the sop and bari soloists have to have excellent legato (and the baritone has to
have an expressive head voice, not just wimpy breathy falsetto), and the conductor can't
be futzing with the tempos.

The poor tenor - well, he just has to get through that damn impossible Roasted Swan
thing, get his check, and go home, lol. ;-)

I'm not sure why people have such polar reactions to the piece. Do the haters hate it
because it's actually tonal, catchy/tuneful, and has (oh, my god) provocative primitive-
feeling rhythms? Kind of like, it's music to have FUN with, instead of music you sit forced
to enjoy while strapped in a chair in Genevieve's castle? God forbid music should be joyful
and simple (I don't mean simplistic, compositionally - it's actually not - but it's simple in
terms of a listening experience).

I tend to think some people are simply afraid to admit they actually like it - as if it's a
stigma to like such music. Oh, my god, what would the neighbors think??

And yes, I have heard bad performances that were veritable scream-fests, but that's not
how it should be done. (That said, it's not a piece for the untrained choral voice. Orff does
write in punishing tessituras.)

On Mon, 26 Feb 2018 20:07:42 -0800, Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Interesting, Gordon. I remember the same pairing in San Francisco in 1971; Leontyne
Price was Giorgetta.

>I like “Carmina Burana” if it’s really well done. That means really precise,
clean playing and singing. Aside from the soprano, I think the baritone solos are really
beautiful.

>My favorite recording is the early 70s Michael Tilson Thomas recording with brilliant
execution by the Cleveland Orchestra and beautiful solo singing by Judith Blegen and an
excellent baritone I never heard again, Peter Binder.