Subject: CDs was: Re: The 1937 Salzburg Don Giovanni
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 23:51:18 -0500

I managed to order a set from them, it was easy. I'll report. I've done some digging on the
source materials which has made me very curious to hear the Immortal set which cost me
over $50 with postage - yikes!  If it had been a download it would have been so much less
and I could already be writing about it.

I don't understand clinging to CDs. They are obsolete. They do not last; before I got rid of
my CDs, they were deteriorating with clicks occurring at alarming rates. Many of the
specialty issues from smaller companies on CD-Rs had ceased to play altogether. And it is
harder and harder to find a player for them and most new laptops are dropping it.

I've had many conversations with sound librarians on both coasts and no one I've talked to
sees a CD as something that is viable long term.  FYI, the sound archive at UC Santa
Barbara is a sensational state of the art place and they are putting their material online for
one and all to enjoy. They showed me drawer after drawer of rare French opera cylinders.
Maybe the long sought after Jean De Reszkes will turn up one of these days!

Streaming is it now and will only get easier. I adore my iTunes Music subscription, anytime I
want to hear something, it is immediately available. I'm only sorry that some of the
companies who do unique and important work like Marston are resistant to it. There is no
going back and the new smart speakers like Alexa are only getting better and better and
more versatile.

James Camner

Modify your settings: