Subject: Carmina Burana
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 23:06:33 +0000

" However one describes it, it is like no other music that I have ever heard"
You might try listening to Borodin's Polovtsian Dances and to more early Stravinsky!  :)
The choral director at my high school- a former NYCO and regional baritone named William Pickett--staged the piece at the school, which may explain my dread when it comes on the radio.
NYCO certainly had a staging of it when I was a kid, I remember my parents giving their seats to some older cousins to go. The Archives show some good casting, including Anne Elgar and Patricia Wise in the soprano music.

And San Fran staged it from 1957->1971 as a double bill with DIE KLUGE ( starring Leontyne Price!) , later PAGLIACCI and then SCHICCHI and then TABARRO (starring Leontyne Price!))-- with sets and costumes by Ponnelle.
Casting included:
Elaine Malbin/Mary Costa/Reri Grist/Shugemi Matsumoto

Frank Guarrera/Raymond Wolansky

Raymond Manton/Andre Montal/Bruce Brewer ( who left us this year, I just read in a French magazine)

Best- David Shengold

Modify your settings: