Subject: Re: On the Carmina Burana
From: RAYMOND GOUIN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 17:37:50 -0500

I "discovered" Carmina Burana in my college freshman year.  Instantly became enamored of it than gradually grew tired of it.  Now, almost some sixty years later, I will listen to bits of it every year or so when it come across my path (but no more), in part to chuckle in remembrance of my tastes at an earlier age -- it's sort of like the musical equivalent of coming upon Ayn Rand's "The Fountainhead" for the first time.  It is a right of passage.

On its own, it is a brash, ribald, noisy, crude, vulgar work and -- as such -- totally appropriate for its subject matter and the period portrayed.  In that respect, Orff was a brilliant composer.

Many years ago, I dimly remember seeing a staged version of the work which left me with the impression that it was better left as an unembellished concert piece.  It was part OF a double bill with a de Falla piece if memory serves me right.  But Angelo, who has a much better memory than I, can clarify the same.

Best from Boston.
Ray Gouin