Subject: On the Carmina Burana
From: Robert Thomson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 13:49:54 -0800

Re. Estelle's negative opinion of Carmina Burana I have to say I see it
very differently.

It has power, mystery, charisma, urgency, sudden and dramatic changes in
volume

and tempo, and I don't know what all.  However one describes it, it is

like no other music that I have ever heard. You only have to hear a few
bars to know

what's playing. Parts of it seem to me (and this is hard to explain)
Nazi, definitely Nazi.

I can imagine a Nazi torchlight rally with this strange music playing in
the background.

And, no, I am not a Nazi, thank you very much but I do believe we have
to look

movements like Nazi-ism square in the eye and try to understand what the
attraction

must have been. It's a dark kind of attraction, of course, and one sees
a similar

kind of attraction, I do believe, in the fascination which many people
these days still

have with guns and weapons of destruction.

Robert Thomson (www.godwinbooks.com)

---