Subject: Re: another Boheme
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 22 Feb 2018 18:02:08 -0500

Plus, there's a natural emotional release after the final vocal cadence of the ensemble. It's
at very *least* a natural trigger for applause. And the embrace just adds to the moment. I
would be very surprised if Puccini didn't expect applause there. But at the same time, he
also clearly didn't want to stop the momentum of the scene. So he made the only
compromise that seems to make sense - which is that there would be at least some reaction
in the moment - and then hopefully the audience would *also* notice that the music wasn't
stopping. I think a final cadence and room for applause would have been a far worse
compositional choice.

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 14:35:39 -0500, G. Paul Padillo <[log in to unmask]>

>The libretto states: "Si abbracciano appassionatamente" (They embrace
>passionately), and I somehow sense the showman Puccini KNEW that would
>would bring down the house.

Modify your settings: