Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: Robert Cardinalli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 18:45:11 +0200

I agree about the Britten War Requiem---perhaps the greatest lamentation
over the waste of war that has ever been penned.  We are so fortunate to
have a number of exceptional performances of this work available on record
and DVD.  The Vaughan Williams Hodie is another work that I invariably play
at Christmas and never fails to move us all and Schonberg's Gurre-Lieder is
similarly breathtaking in scope.  It's in my living will that the last
sounds I wish to hear on my deathbed are those of the Elgar Sea Pictures
recording with Barbirolli and Janet Baker.