Subject: Metropolitan opera National Council auditions from the mid Atlantic region sends 1st place winners to New York finals next month
From: Alan Savada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 11:09:12 -0500

While I quickly posted the email below to the OPERA-L yesterday, I wanted to elaborate on the entire program presenting 11 singers yesterday at the Kennedy Center's Terrace Theatre.
Donations were up and we are so proud to now have made a donation in honor of our son Samuel for the 14th year since his birth. Maybe he will join me one day again soon....
There was over 25,000$ in prizes to be awarded and each of the 11 regional finalized were awarded $1500 each in District prizes before yesterday's finals. The entire team deserves massive kudos for putting on this amazing volunteer effort, especially pianist Richard Raub who played for every entrant.
The three judges were Melissa Wegner, Deputy Director, met Opera National Council Auditions;
Antony Walker, Artistic Director, Washington Concert Opera & Pinchgut Opera; Music Director, Pittsburgh Opera and Christopher McBeth, Artistic Director Utah Opera.
Their job this year may have been a bit easier, although everyone sang quite well; indeed the decisions came out faster than usual in less than 25 minutes of deliberation.
The singers that did place included
mezzo-soprano, Hannah Hagerty who sang first and nailed Giulio Cesare's "Svefliatevi nel core" and "Clemenza di Tito's "Parto, parto..."
baritone, Jianan Huang with the ever present, "Hai gia vinta la cause" from Figaro and the rare "Questo amor" from Puccini's Edgar
counter-tenor Min Sang Kim started with Partenope's "Furibondo spira il vento..." and when he returned seemed to be wiping something from his nose and after a sec, we allrealized he had quite a bad nosebleed. The judges allowed him to step offstage and Auditions Co-chair, Eleanor Forrer came on to announce a 5 minute-break, but when we returned, Mr. Kim had a wad of tissue in his nose and was still clearly suffering. The judges were very understanding and asked him to return at the end to sing his final aria from Flight, "Dawn. Still Darkness" which was done well, but he clearly was suffering from the entire sad and distressing event.
soprano Meryl Dominguez impressed with "Je suis Titania" from Mignon and Magic Flute's "O zittre nacht" and I think she was close in the competition indeed.
mezzo Gillian Lynn Cotter gave us "Sein wir wieder gut!" the COmposer's Aria from Ariadne followed by "This Journey to Christ" from Dead Man Walking.

Third prize was a tie:
bass, Brent Michael Smith who sang "Wie schon ist doch die Musik" from Strauss' Die Schweigsame Frau (a bit of a sleeper) and woke us up with Purcell's "Arise ye subterranean winds" from the Tempest.
Dc Washington National Opera grad, bass-baritone, Andrew Bogard sang the amaing "Ves tabor spit" Aleko's Aria followed by Leporello's Catalog Aria. They each took home a $2000 prize.
second place went to tenor, Matthew White, who had to be the audience favorite with "O Paradis" from L'Africaine and "E la solita storia..." from L'Arlesiana and took hoe $3000.
The three tied first place winners, each earning $6800, will progress to the April finals in NYC and they were all indeed totally beyond brilliant:
soprano Madison Leonard is presently in the WNO YA program started with "Je suis encore tout etourdie" from Manon followed by a melting "Caro nome" from Rigoletto.
tenor Joshua Blue was amazing with Lensky's Aria from Onegin followed by an awesome "Ach! So fromm, ach, so traut" from Flotow's Martha.
baritone Ethan Simpson also got my vote from the start along with these other two for his "Cruda, funesta smania..." from Lucia and a delicious "Avant de quitter ces lieux" from Faust.
It was a most enjoyable afternoon that seemed to fly by so quickly and all of us wish the three winners the best of luck at the Met Finals!

ALAN SAVADA of Washington, DC

Modify your settings: