Subject: Re: La Boheme as heard on WQXR today from the Met
From: ANGELO MAMMANO <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 10:37:57 -0500

I was at Fabiano's early Met Stiffelio and Otello appearances
and also at the CH Lombardi.  He was terrific at the Lombardi
and was a great hit with the audience.  I expected that he
would go on to success one after the other.  Unfortunately
I was very disappointed with the Boheme broadcast.  He seemed
to be struggling vocally throughout, reaching for even middle
to high notes, like F, with trepidation. It was certainly a
mistake for him to try for the C at the end of the Act 1 duet.
It was tentative at best and forced Yoncheva to cut her C a
little short in order to accommodate him. I will be at the HD
encore on Wednesday and hope for a different perspective.
As for Armiliato, I first saw him years ago conducting Figaro
at Sarasota.  He did well.  For the Boheme on Saturday he did
a lot of rall. and morendo effects which were absolutely
irritating. The postludes, particularly the ending of the Act 4
duet, were stretched out so as to interrupt the flow of the music
and draw attention only to Armiliato. He did this again and again.
At the Audition film one of the singers stated that she felt that
he was not with her but continually behind. The response was that
"He is a singers' conductor". Actually he is a poor conductor.

Angelo from Boston