Subject: Re: Tears may fall!
From: Don <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 06:02:35 -0700

I have multiple recordings of Carmina Burana but also of Catulli and Il
Trionfo but I also have recordings of his two operas Die Kluge and Der
Mond.  Angel released them many years ago and I played them over and over
through the years. Die Kluge has a marvelous cast with  Schwarzkopf,
Cordes, Frick, Rudolf Christ, Hermann Prey, Gustav Neidlinger with
Sawallisch conducting.  Couldn't get much better than that then or now.  I
also have the recording of Orff's opera Antigonae with Inge Borkh, Fricsay
conducting.  That one I don't return to often as it is very stark,
monotonous and has lots of "sprechstimme"  or something approching that.
Órff's final work is De temporum fine comoedia, more of a cantata than an
opera but it contains some of his finest music I think.  There is only one
recording as far as I can tell and it is with the original huge cast of
1972, von Karajan conducting. Someone has kindly uploaded the Karajan
performance to Youtube should anyone be interested.  While it is not as
melodious as the Carmina or Catulli, it is unmistakably Orff.
DonD

--
It's amazing how useful it can be.