Subject: Re: another Puccini tear-jerker moment was Re: la boheme
From: Jay Gould <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 00:33:57 -0500

Kurt and all…

As someone who’s had the privilege to sing Sharpless several times (most
recently at New York’s Regina Opera in 2012), I have to say I can’t sing
that scene without my own tears falling to the stage.

I, as Sharpless, can’t tell Butterfly the truth, she won’t hear it, but I
know what’s coming; not necessarily that she’s going to commit hara-kiri but
that it’s a good possibility but I definitely know the total, utter
devastation that’s in store for her when she finds out the truth. I’m
tearing up just thinking about it. And of saying “Tuo padre lo saprá, te lo
prometto...” (Your father will know it, I promise you). And both Butterfly
and Suzuki being utterly clueless about why this man is vainly trying to
hide that he’s crying with tears falling on the floor…

Like the audience, Sharpless can see the train wreck developing and is
utterly powerless to stop it or blunt its impact. Incredible genius moment.
Thank you, Puccini.

Jay Gould