Subject: Re: Tears may fall!
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 00:18:05 -0500

Those who know me, know I'm prone towards tears when certain music is involved - I'm
preparing myself for Parsifal Tuesday, I've never been able to get through the first Vorpsiel
without tears.

Non-operatic music can do it and I'm lucky, too, to have seen some amazing performances.
One of the most profoundly moving was 12 years ago today, with James Levine leading the
Boston Symphony and a cast including Karita Mattila and Johann Botha.  The entire concert
was riveting, but nothing, not even her past performances could have prepared any of us
for Lorraine-Hunt Lieberson's rendering of the lied of the Wood Dove.  Of her performance I
wrote:

"At this point what can be said about Lorraine Hunt Lieberson? Even her physical entrance,
at the end of the Zwishcenspiel, was mesmerizing as she seemed to almost float across the
stage never visibly appearing to move.  Her face was a mask of noble tragedy. And then she
sang. The Wood-Dove's lied is the longest, and in my opinion, the most moving of the cycle
and to have a singer known for her depth of expression take on the role was a privilege.
Hunt Lieberson's entire body seemed to express everything her voice and the music
required of her. This was no "show" - it was a profoundly affecting account of the aftermath
of Tove's death, every word making an impact. Her "Tove ist stumm!" - more haunting than
I could have imagined. I was teary then, and now also just recalling this moment. At
intermission, my friends who'd never before heard this singer, commented 'now we
understand the fuss . . . . . . my God.'"

I remember how, from her remarkable performance and glowing appearance, none of us
could have possibly known less than four months later she would be taken from us.

p.