Subject: Re: Tears may fall!
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 00:01:16 -0500

In all the world, was there a better place to be on that Sunday
morning?

ALTO RHAPSODY belongs on every list; I don't know how I could
have forgotten it.  In so many ways, Brahms is number one among
non operatic composers.  I think the closest examples of what an
operatic scene from his pen might sound like are the two dramatic
solos for baritone in DEUTSCHES REQUIEM, but not the soprano
solo, where sunlight still shimmers through stained glass.

Number two might well be assigned to Sibelius whose LUONNOTAR
has not yet been mentioned, nor several other striking voice and
orchestra pieces.

It looks like the gold medal ends up around the neck of Strauss for
VIER LETZTE LIEDER.  Which reminds me: when all those German
athletes won gold, was "Deutschland Uber Alles" played?

Am I really the only one who likes CARMINA BURANA?

dtmk