Subject: Re: The 1937 Salzburg Don Giovanni
From: James Camner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Feb 2018 23:48:09 -0500

It's not a flawless sound recording by any means, just a titanic performance that is
now reasonably accessible. IMHO, if this sound was comparable to say the Reiner
Flagstad Melchior Tristan which was recorded in the previous year by EMI and which is
also in a class by itself, no other recorded Don Giovanni performance could touch it. I
hope that someone does issue the recording mastered from the Toscanini material.

I don't believe that Andante ever got around to putting out the 1937 Don Giovanni
from Salzburg (if they did, I'd love to get a copy).  I've heard excerpts from the
Toscanini collection Don Giovanni tapes at Lincoln Center and they are superior to
what Andromeda, at least the little bit I heard of them were, but the Andromeda does
have a lot of presence and impact and the tone quality of the singers like Rethberg
really come through loud and clear. Borgioli's star turn as Don Ottavio is a revelation,
no one else comes close. And Pinza in 1937, OMG!

I'm not so sure that the Toscanini Archive selenophone recordings are the source for
the Andromeda issue of the 1937 Salzburg Don Giovanni, but I don't know. Does
anyone on the list actually know beyond speculation?

James Camner

Modify your settings: