Subject: Tears may fall!
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 26 Feb 2018 00:09:10 +0000

Well, all this talk about Puccini and tears has brought me to a place
where I am able to combine the Boheme thread with the "What
non opera vocal music turns you on" conversation.

In, I think, 1976, at the Vienna Musikverein, there was an all Brahms
concert on a Sunday morning conducted by Karl Bohm.

The program was -

Variations on a theme by Haydn
The Alto Rhapsody with Christa Ludwig
and the Symphony No 1

As Ludwig began her solo I began to sob, and the more I tried to
stifle it, the worse it got. I coud not control myself! A man seated behind
me touched me on the shoulder as I finally settled down, and, when I
turned to look at him, I saw tears in his eyes, too. We smiled! It remains
the single most intensely emotional musical experience of my life.

So, put the Alto Rhapsody in my list of great non operatic compositions!
Cathartic does not begin to describe my reaction to it and to that moment.

How lucky I am to have lived so long and to have seen so much!

Bob