Subject: another Puccini tear-jerker moment was Re: la boheme
From: kurt youngmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Feb 2018 17:38:27 -0600

Puccini was very good at wrenching hearts and making tears flow! Another of my favorite examples occurs toward the end of the Butterfly / Sharpless scene when he asks the child’s name.

Sharpless: I bei capelli biondi! (Those beautiful blonde curls!) Caro, come ti chiamano? (What is your name, dear child?”

Butterfly: Rispondi: Oggi il mio nome e Dolore. Pero, dite al babbo, scrivendogli, che il giorno del suo ritorno Gioia, Gioia mi chiamero. (Tell him: Today my name is Sorrow but when you write to my daddy, tell him that on the day he returns I’ll call myself Joy).

Years ago I presented a Madama Butterfly program to a number of groups - probably 8 or 9 times in all. Invariably, as I came to this section of the story tears welled up in my eyes. Indeed, it happened again, as I typed the words on this post.

Kurt Youngmann
> On Feb 25, 2018, at 5:12 PM, Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> For me, it's the section in "Donde lieta" where Mimi mentions the bonnet. The way she
> has to repeat "se vuoi" just to get the thought out (this has to be so hard for Mimi to
> say), leading to that soaring melody on "ricordo d'amor" - a perfect tearjerker if ever
> there was one.

"The key to the mystery of a great artist is
that for reasons unknown, he will give away his energies and his life
just to make sure that one note follows another... and leaves us with
the feeling that something is right in the world.” -
Leonard Bernstein.

Modify your settings: