Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Feb 2018 17:58:46 -0500

Like everyone else, there are way too many to mention.

I've seen a few mentions of the Brahms German Requiem, but his chamber choral rep is
also wonderful stuff - the 2 sets of Liebeslieder Waltzes, the choral settings of the
Zigeunerlieder, and many more. Another favorite of mine is a choral piece with orchestra
called Nanie - truly beautiful. Also, Brahms wrote a number of motets that are quite

And of course the Brahms solo lieder aren't chopped liver either. ;-)

While we're on Zigeunerlieder, the Dvorak set of Gypsy Songs is also fantastic.

I think Bob Rideout mentioned the Elgar Sea Pictures? Yes!! (I've done them on piano,
which was fun, but the orchestral setting is terrific.)

First thing I ever sang in my college chamber choir was the Lully Dies Irae - and it's funny
because I recently went back to listen to it again after a long time, and still remembered
it quite well! It was also in my early college years that I started really getting to know the
Bach Cantatas - we sang a few of the early ones (106, 150) which are quite beautiful.
Another one of the early ones that's a favorite of mine is 131. The fugue-like choral
section in the middle of the piece - all circle-of-fifths with wonderful dissonant
suspensions - gorgeous.

..which reminds me of the very end of the Byrd Mass in 4 Parts, which also ends with a
series of beautiful suspension figures.

Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms (especially that remarkable double fugue that makes up
most of the 2nd movement)

Poulenc's Christmas motets

More to come, I'm sure...

On Sun, 25 Feb 2018 14:21:10 -0800, Mark Bartelt <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Many of these have already been mentioned by others,
>but anyway ...
>Bach's B-minor Mass would be at the absolute top of
>my list, and Strauss's Vier letzte Lieder would be
>close behind.
>Others on my list would include Mahler's Eighth and
>Das Lied von der Erde, Brahms's Requiem, and a few
>Schubert lieder (especially Erlk├Ânig and Gretchen
>am Spinnrade).
>OPERA-L on Facebook:
>Modify your settings:

Modify your settings: