Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Feb 2018 14:03:27 -0800

The engineering problems on the Flagstad/Furtwängler “Vier Letzte Lieder” are, as the lawyers say, with malice afore thought.

The Maharajah of Mysore (not making this up), major “angel” without whom Walter Legge’s Philharmonia Orchestra would never have come into being, paid a fortune to have a high quality studio recording made. He stipulated that he have the only copies and all others be destroyed. To protect the value, he also stipulated that the BBC not broadcast or record the premier performance.

What exists comes from someone having illicitly snuck some form of low quality recording equipment into one of the rehearsals but having to keep recorder and microphone hidden.

At least that’s how it was told to me.

The best reconstruction of the poor sound that I’ve heard is the Testament issue.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone