Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Feb 2018 16:08:27 -0500

Way too many to mention them all, but if I were to single out only a few
then here it goes (with loads of extra credits, I hope)...

Schubert, WINTERREISE - love some tenor renditions, but still prefer it in
the baritone voice - favorite recordings: Gerhard Hüsch, Hans Hotter
(mid-50s version with Gerald Moore), Heinz Rehfuss, Christian Gerhaher

Delius - THE DREAM OF GERONTIUS - 1950s live performance in Rome with Jon
Vickers, Barbirolli conducting; also love Sargent's 1st version with Heddle
Nash, Ripley and Noble, and a few later recordings for individual singers
(Baker's Angel above all) or conducting, but overall the Vickers-Barbirolli
reading would have to be my desert island choice

Bach, ST. MATTHEW PASSION - I love quite a few different interpretations
from the classic Klemperer to Furtwangler; the first time I heard it was on
the live 1950 recording from Vienna, memorably with Kathleen Ferrier and
Irmgard Seefried, Karajan conducting, and it remains my sentimental favorite

Grechaninov's CREDO / THE CREED - a very old and obscure recording from
1931 credited to the Russian Metropolitan Church Choir in Paris; although
my mom was not Russian, this beautiful choral piece somehow evokes
nostalgia in me and I regularly listen to it every Mother's Day

Richard Strauss, FOUR LAST SONGS - Lisa della Casa and Sena Jurinac. What a
shame that the Flagstad/Furtwangler recording suffers from serious
engineering problems.

Vesna