Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Feb 2018 20:18:49 +0000

I love the Glagolitic Mass as well--I was actually listening to it this
morning and it was what inspired my post to the list.

Mahler called "Das Lied von der Erde" a symphony, but was afraid to
number it because of his superstition about ninth symphonies.

Does anyone remember Tom Lehrer's song about Alma Mahler Werfel Gropius?
"Their marriage, however was murder.
He'd scream to the heavens above,
'I'm writing Das Lied von der Erde,
and she only wants to make love!'"