Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: LANE WHITESELL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Feb 2018 13:41:01 -0500

I probably listen to the Sea Symphony of Vaughan Williams  and the Beethoven and Mozart
concert arias more than most anything else (except the Strauss Four Last Songs.)  And
Berlioz' Les Nuits d'Ete.  I still love the Steber recording of this, and the Heather Harper /
John Shirley-Quirk version of the Sea symphony is a true favorite.  Ah, Perfido!  I'm not sure
I've ever heard a recording I did not like in one way or the other (Flagstad probably more
often on in the car than others.)  Mozart's Non temer with piano (violin version okay, but
I prefer the piano.)  And recently, I've found myself listening to Dorothy Kirsten's Tropical
Songs.

Lane A. Whitesell

>     On February 25, 2018 at 12:56 PM Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>     Way, way too many to name. I get as much pleasure from lieder
>     as I do from opera. I'd need a week to list my favorite "songs" and
>     "cycles".
>
>     Same with Requiems, Stabat Maters and all manner of sacred
>     music.
>
>     However -
>
>     Since you mentioned Elgar, I'll put in a special word for his
>     "Sea Pictures" with Janet Baker, in my favorite of all her
>     recordings, conducted by Barbirolli. It is magnificent!
>
>     Bob
>
>     On Sun, Feb 25, 2018 at 12:46 Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
>     wrote:
>
>         > >
> >         This has come up before but it's been quiet and I thought I would raise
> >         it again: what are your favorite non-opera vocal works, both individual
> >         and choral? (Feel free to choose oratorios or "dramatic legends," even
> >         if they have been staged, since everything seems to get staged
> >         eventually...) For extra credit, name favorite recording(s).
> >
> >         My own favorites are "Vier letzte lieder" (either Norman or Della Casa)
> >         and "The Dream of Gerontius" (Britten recording with Peter Pears). I
> >         must admit to an almost irrational affection for Elgar's choral works.

> >         [log in to unmask] containing only the words: SET OPERA-L NOMAIL

> >         Modify your settings: http://listserv.bccls.org/archives/opera-l.html

> >     >

Lane A. Whitesell