Subject: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: Rich Lowenthal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Feb 2018 17:46:48 +0000

This has come up before but it's been quiet and I thought I would raise
it again: what are your favorite non-opera vocal works, both individual
and choral? (Feel free to choose oratorios or "dramatic legends," even
if they have been staged, since everything seems to get staged
eventually...) For extra credit, name favorite recording(s).

My own favorites are "Vier letzte lieder" (either Norman or Della Casa)
and "The Dream of Gerontius" (Britten recording with Peter Pears). I
must admit to an almost irrational affection for Elgar's choral works.