Subject: Re: la boheme
From: Godfrey Daniels <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 25 Feb 2018 10:21:22 -0500

Mr. Youngmann, I agree with many points of your post, to wit:

I also don't wait for the fourth act to tear up; I start to feel the strong emotional tug almost
from the beginning. I also agree with your comments about Zeffirelli and relevance. The
mere fact that this traditional production stills packs them in after 35+ yrs and who know
how many performances SHOULD say something to today's directors.

I have never seen this production in house. Of course, I saw the original telecast with
Stratas and Carreras which just destroyed me. What sticks in memory the most after all
these years is Addio, senza rancor - I was out of control; thank goodness I wasn't in an
opera house! My first experience of Boheme was in San Francisco with Cortrubas, Aragall
and Ramey in a Ponnelle production.

I thought Yoncheva sounded matronly. I don't care for Fabiano anymore in his heavier
repertory. I liked him in the lighter stuff like Nemorino. I recall that he himself made some
comment in the movie The Audition about his high notes not being his best point; he
appeared to be jealously responding to Shrader's high Cs in Ah mes amis.

I also agree that La Boheme is a masterpiece, a miracle really that a composer could get it
so right and connect with a vast spectrum of others through that score so solidly.

I expect to go to Roanoke to see Boheme in a few weeks; it's been about 10 yrs since I've
seen it. The tenor is Matthew Vickers whom I saw in Sarasota in La Battaglia a couple of yrs
ago. I liked him. He was the cover and came on after the first scene and finished out the
opera extremely well.