Subject: Re: La Boheme as heard on WQXR today from the Met
From: Steven Mello <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Feb 2018 19:03:14 -0500

Today's broadcast made me very, very sad. I have loved Mr. Fabiano's
singing, but what I heard today was beyond troubling - it made me
physically uncomfortable to hear the damage he was doing (has done?) to
himself, which was particularly obvious (and painful) in the upper
register. Ms. Yoncheva, well, I thought was more likely to punch Rodolfo
than kiss him, given how aggressively and woodenly she sang, and I felt
nothing at all musical from her mannered singing. I also agree with the
complaints about today's maestro.

I can't recall ever hearing a Boheme in which Marcello was really the only
person I wanted to listen to. (He was great.)