Subject: Re: La Boheme as heard on WQXR today from the Met
From: Idia Legray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Feb 2018 18:26:33 -0500

I really don't wish to sound repetitive because Bob Rideout said most all of
it for me -- just better.

I am a Fabiano junky and that's why I chose this particular cast.  I also
look forward to his upcoming Edgardo in "Lucia" and, lucky me, I get to see
him next season in "Mefistofele" as well.
So you can imagine my disappointment with his less than stellar "Che
gelida..."
I also am annoyed by tenors who decide to take the high note in "O soave
fanciulla" along with the soprano.

During the intermission I waited with bated breath to find out whether or
not my ears needed a good cleansing.
To my joy I discovered that "fabulous Fab" really put the pedal to the metal
and the rest of the opera was simply beautiful with a cast that almost
seemed like they were friends in real life -- they seemed that comfortable
and familiar with one another.

I must say that I have not heard any Callas-like sounds emanating from
the throat of Yoncheva. I must make it my business to listen more closely
next time, but she certainly is tops in my book and should be around for a
long time if she nurses that stunning voice of hers.

It's a good thing my mate and I were securely armed with Kleenex because
we sure needed it in the last act.
A beautiful afternoon on a rainy day.

I do suggest that if anyone who heard it on the air today can get
themselves to the Encore on Wednesday, do yourselves a favor and go.
You won't be sorry.