Subject: Re: La Boheme as heard on WQXR today from the Met
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Feb 2018 17:28:09 -0500

My reaction is somewhere in the middle. I admire both lead singers and was
rooting for them, but Fabiano continues to have issues with top notes and
his voice often sounded labored to my ears as well. Yoncheva's top was also
sometimes uncomfortable to listen to. I suspect the technique could be
Fabiano's issue and too many heavy roles for Yoncheva's lyric instrument
lately (she was even Norma recently!). I do hope they both work out
whatever problems they might have, which are not any major right now but
can become quite soon, because both are super talented singers with quite
resourceful and beautiful instruments. I don't understand why Musetta seems
to be often reserved for Susanna Phillips for HD & radio broadcasts because
I never found her singing to be beyond mediocre. Armiliato's conducting
didn't work for me either. I can't say I was entirely disappointed and this
afternoon had many enjoyable moments but it could have been much, much
better. I stayed at home this afternoon and listened to the broadcast on
radio. Maybe it all worked out better in HD.

Vesna