Subject: Re: La Boheme as heard on WQXR today from the Met
From: [log in to unmask]
Date:Sat, 24 Feb 2018 21:45:48 +0000

Bob,

I'm less happy than you with the whole thing, I stopped listening after
the first act. Didn't like the singing at all of the two principal
singers.
Fabiano (couldn't even recognize his timbre) sounded indeed laboured the
whole time, was taken aback by the many bravo's after che gelida. Gee he
does have a huge fan base or were they applauding Puccini? He should
take a lot of vocal rest and get back in shape or he's going down the
rolando path.
Ditto for Yoncheva  who imitates Callas's 'bottle' sound, not a good
idea. The way she sounded on this b'cast and her Cd recital was
striking.
There's is so much else to listen to I gave up after 'o soave'...

Rudi