Subject: Re: Lotte Schone
From: Vesna Danilovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Feb 2018 23:09:28 -0500

Another Lotte Schone's admirer over here. I have both Preiser and Pearl CDs
(fortunately it's one of better Pearl transfers), but I am thrilled to hear
that Marston will issue all of her recordings in his transfer.

A great Mozartian, also wonderful in the Italian repertory and quite
charming in the Viennese operettas. The beauty of her tone and flawless
technique are evident in every single recording of hers.

To tie her sad story of forced exile to the discussion about Lemnitz on
another thread - she is a perfect example why I don't feel comfortable not
only about Lemnitz, a reputed Nazi who didn't change her bigoted views even
after the tragedies at Auschwitz and other concentration camps came to
light, but also others like Schwarzkopf who opportunistically joined the
Nazi party (after many decades of her denials, the facts have been
uncovered about her Nazi Party affiliation) to fill the positions vacated
by the racist laws that sent Jewish singers like Schone into exile or, even
worse, to death camps.

Although her career was cut short - she was still in her prime when forced
to flee into exile - it's terrific at so many levels that her legacy lives
on even after some 80 years or so.

Vesna