Subject: La Boheme as heard on WQXR today from the Met
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sat, 24 Feb 2018 21:38:42 +0000

Really brief!

I love the opera beyond words; it's about as close to
perfection as this thing called Opera has ever offered.
Not a wasted moment.

Fabiano should have transposed "Che gelida manina".
The top C was really labored. Outside of that miscalculation,
I enjoyed him a lot. But, he is pushing and I see "lotsa" trouble
down the road. It doesn't sound easy!

Yoncheva is a very fine singer, maybe even a great one.
Don Paolo, I heard a lot of Callas again today, in the tone,
the phrasing and the colors. Her sense of dynamc shading
is often beyond just reminiscent. She is very special!

Everyone was up to the task and I had a very good time. As one
of the singers noted in an intermission, it's the only Puccini
opera in which all the principals are pretty likable. And so it
was. But those intermissions...oy, oy, oy!

Bob