Subject: Re: Non opera vocal music
From: Maxwell Paley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Wed, 28 Feb 2018 12:44:53 -0800

My intro to Scandinavian song was via what I still think is a very lovely record of Sibelius  songs sung beautifully by Flagstad in her early 60s with orchestrations (not by Sibelius) conducted by Fjeldstad and wonderfully played by the LSO. Even 60 years later, the clear and spacious stereo sound is a delight.

I liked two Tom Krause records in particular. The first was one of his earlier recital albums with Strauss songs on one side and Sibelius on the other. A few years later he made a beautiful record of all Sibelius. Some years later, he and Elisabeth Söderström (both still in good form) did a complete set.

Birgit Nilsson made a delightful record with orchestra in the mid 60s called “Scandinavian Songs” in the US and “Songs from the Land of the Midnight Sun” in the UK.

I also have an unusual LP of Nilsson from 1975 with piano singing Strauss on one side, Sibelius on the other. Unusual for being a small label, Swedish BIS, and a very minimalistic recording setup (none the worse for that) and translations on what looks like a Xeroxed typed page. Even at that point she was capable of lightness and delicacy as well as formidable power.

Max Paley

Sent from my iPhone