Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: Les Mitnick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Feb 2018 23:57:00 -0600

Tiana Lemnitz was an UBER Nazi and made no secret of it.  She was not only a full fledged member of the Nazi Party, but she sang for Hitler on several occasions.  Her political attitudes never changed. Even in the last years of her life, she was quoted in her laments of how Europe had changed for the worst after World War II.  This has been noted in several books I've read.  Though she never had a biography written about her, she is referenced in many other books and biographies (I've lost count of how many).  There are even references to her political leanings on Google.  She did very little singing after World War II, (a few opera appearances and recitals here and there), but she had a problem keeping her mouth shut.
    Flagstad was a totally different situation.  She was never tied to the Nazis (though her husband was), and had she chosen to remain in the U.S. in 1941, she would have spared herself the agony and false accusations she faced when she returned to the U.S. in 1947.  She was innocent and fought a terrible battle with American public opinion.  She triumphed, but she was left with emotional scars that embittered her for the rest of her life.  But while she was going through all of this in the late 1940's and early 1950's, she was still considered the greatest voice of her type, and Strauss was perfectly justified in wanting her to sing the premiere of his Four Last Songs.
    I doubt whether ANY Lemnitz recording would have sold any records worth counting (especially in the U.S.A.) ------- regardless of her vocal gifts, which I've read were considerable.  Personally, I've never heard her and don't wish to.