Subject: Re: Favorite non-opera vocal works?
From: simon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Tue, 27 Feb 2018 21:41:15 -0500

I've heard the War Requiem a few times, but the most memorable was at the
1968 Edinburgh festival, conducted by Giulini with the soloists for which
it had been written (Pears/Fischer-Dieskau/Vishnevskaya). What made it such
a poignant event was that it took place a few days after the USSR invaded
Czechoslovakia, which created the backdrop for an brilliant and emotionally
compelling performance.

The Deutsches Requiem is also a favorite ; first heard in my freshman year
at Cambridge in an autumn evening performance in the dimly lit Kings
College Chapel  -I  still have vivid memories of  'Denn alles Fleisch, es
ist wie Gras' and get shivers down my back any time I hear it.

-Simon