Subject: Re: Tunings
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Feb 2018 19:37:16 -0500

There seems to be some confusion about these measurement units in this discussion.

Hertz (Hz) are a measurement of vibrations per SECOND, not minute, and this is the
measurement used for tuning purposes, from the sound produced by the vibration
frequency (i.e. "pitch"). 1 hz is one vibration per second, etc.

"Beats per minute" (BPM) is the measurement used for musical tempo, as commonly clicked
on a metronome - often abbreviated as "MM" (Maelzel's Metronome), and is an indication
often seen at the start of a score, and at other changes of tempo throughout. A bpm of 60
is one beat per second, etc.

On Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:55:47 -0800, Michael at Ariascribe <[log in to unmask]>

>I have been following the discussion about tunings and pitch with great interest. But I
became curious about the numbers being thrown about, because it struck me as being quite
difficult to count a frequency as high as (say) 420 beats per minute.

Modify your settings: