Subject: Re: Tunings
From: "Max D. Winter" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Feb 2018 16:18:33 -0500

Tom Ponti wrote:

"Does one high note really define a performance of a great role, especially Aida, which has so
much other variable vocal requirements? The same is true of Siempre Liberia."

I agree completely re "Siempre Liberia," and I am encouraged that at least one other Lister
knows this obscure Mexican opera about the founding of the African nation.  The titular aria,
"Siempre Liberia" ("Always Liberia") is the unofficial national anthem of that country.  I can
live without the optional high F in the aria, because so few sopranos can sing it without either
screeching or sounding like a train whistle.

MDW