Subject: Re: Parsifal: Met Saturday Matinee
From: donald kane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:07:53 -0500

Something about the term story book, when applied to anything
Wagner related, alarms me.  I'm glad you liked it, but the old
production of PARSIFAL had all the "emotional/spiritual connections"
I needed.  The laying bare of things is not for me.  As with most of the
composer's works, the music and meaning of PARSIFAL moved me
deeply years before I ever saw it staged, and that staging, perhaps
being used for the last time when I attended the final Good Friday
performance at the old house in 1966,  nondescript and forgettable,
as it was, in no way interfered with my complete absorption in the
performance (dominated by the phenomenal Sandor Konya).

dtmk