Subject: Re: Records
From: David Shengold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Thu, 15 Feb 2018 05:18:00 +0000

I have a pretty extensive classical vocal collection, but why should one restrict oneself musically?
For one thing, when not writing about or reviewing classical vocal rep live or on recordings, I listen mainly to J. S. Bach, Domenico Scarlatti, Beethoven and Schubert on piano, and Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert & Dvorak string chamber works (also Berg, Bartok, Shostakovich...)

Having ventured Joni Mitchell, I'll second--as music I continue to listen to fairly regularly-- the Beatles, the Doors, the B-52s, The Talking Heads, Dylan, Billie Holiday, Jefferson Airplane (NOT the Starship, however), The Pentangle, Louis Armstrong, Yma Sumac, k.d. lang, Sam Cooke,  Zhanna Bichevskaya, Bulat Okudjava, Jo Stafford, Ella Fitzgerald, Patsy Cline, Jimmy Somerville, Joan Armatrading, Amalia Rodrigues, Nino Rota soundtracks, various Bernstein musical cast albums...Shows my age and experences, I'm sure.

My brother, who also likes opera, exposes me to more avant-garde jazz; my niece to things she likes, like Radiohead and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Sometimes non-classical furnishes a great, restorative break from classical vocal reviewing; on my one night off from a Santa Fe Opera week, a college classmate took me to a terrific concert in Albuquerque by Christian McBride and his trio.