Subject: Re: Parsifal: Met Saturday Matinee
From: Daniel Layne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Feb 2018 14:10:49 -0500

I attended Saturday's matinee of Parsifal. It was a mostly excellent performance.
The weak link in this performance, for my tastes at least, was the tenor singing the title
role,
Klaus Florian Vogt. From the moment he sang his first lines, I thought "who in their right
minds ever thought this was a Wagnerian tenor?"
His timbre is very lightweight, and not at all all what I would call leading tenor material.
It wasn't that I had trouble hearing him, it was his actual tone that was just wrong for
Parsifal.
For me, the role requires a voice of stature, grandeur and nobility.
Vogt had none of these, and sounded like a regional level Monostatos.
The rest of the cast was another matter. Rene Pape as Gurnemanz was his usual
magnificent self, his sonorous voice as impressive as ever.Peter Mattei was also excellent as
Amfortas.
Evgeny Nikitin was also excellent as a snarling, creepy Klingsor.
I also loved Evelyn Herlitzius as Kundry. She is a true creature of the stage. Her voice, at
this stage in her career, can bit a bit unruly and wild, and a couple of notes were suspect.
But she is an intense singer and sort of just goes for broke in her big moments of act two.
The orchestra and chorus sounded fabulous.
New music director Maestro Yannick Nézet-Séguin conducted with a sure hand and an
elegant touch, allowing the beauty of Wagner's monumental score the take center stage.
If this is any indication, the Met is most assuredly now in a terrific place musically.
I for one, am truly excited that Maestro Nézet-Séguin will be the new music director.
It is time for a change there, and he is an excellent choice to lead.
Finally, after far too long, a new musical era at the Met has begun.