Subject: Re: Tunings
From: "Takis Pavl." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Mon, 19 Feb 2018 15:46:20 +0000

You're welcome! If you find the article that that started this discussion (?), please send me the link.
Now that you mentioned that singer's reaction, I forgot to add, so I'll do it publicly, that when a singer has practiced or performed an aria many times over the years, the muscles remember the placement, the movements they do, especially in the tricky spots. They know how to sing the piece comfortably. A slight pitch change and almost everything you do in the aria, has to be adapted to sing it freely again, if you can at all, that is. Most singers would panic before a performance if they were told the orchestra is tuned a bit higher or lower that evening. There is an element of psychology to that but most of it is physiology. Often the problem lies in the recitatives where a more declamato or spoken approach is necessary. If the tuning is too high, singers are forced to "sing" those higher passages instead of being allowed to play with the words in a more spoken approach. Even half a tone difference, especially around the passaggio, can kill a spoken passage. Takis