Subject: Re: Parsifal: Met Saturday Matinee
From: "G. Paul Padillo" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Feb 2018 23:58:08 -0500

I thank Mr. Kane for his respect on my take on things musically, but have to wonder how he
could interpret my words:

"I enjoyed/loved the old, storybook GŁnther Schneider-Siemssen as well . . . and took a lot
of heat here [on this list] and elsewhere for loving it.  But there is something about this
production that takes all of Parsifal's emotional/spiritual connections and lays them bare as
I've never before encountered - and the effect is overwhelming."

as an insult writing how I

"dismiss(ed) the traditional staging that preceded this,as a "story book" view, is insulting to
those who designed it, to those who enjoyed it, and to the composer, who might, at least,
have recognized it."

Even Rene Pape who starred in the Schenck/Schneider-Siemssen - and spoke highly of it,
referred to the production as "fairy tale."  When did "storybook" and "fairy tale" become
insults?  They are apt descriptions of a certain style , a traditional style, which I happen to
still enjoy, and when done beautifully, love more than "regietheater."  Still, liking one style -
at least for some - does not preclude liking more than one.

I'm sorry he (and others) could not get past what they found hideous, to the point of being
incapable of being moved by (in my opinion) the most beautiful score in operatic literature.
 Thousands of others did not find it so, it's a matter of preference, though those who protest
it seemingly keep insisting those of us moved by it are somehow "wrong."

p.