Subject: Re: tuning
From: Jon Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Feb 2018 22:44:59 -0500

Many years ago, I saw a production of the musical "She Loves Me," where the guy playing
the cameo role of the Headwaiter sang horribly flat all through his one big song. I
remember saying to the conductor, a colleague of mine, after the show, that I was
amazed how he got the orchestra to tune up a quarter step just for that song. ;-)

But given Don's post quoted below, I now tend to wonder if the actor was merely trying
to sing at 432 against the orchestra's 440? ;-) Yeah, that must be it...

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 18:34:59 -0700, Don <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Don <[log in to unmask]>
>[image: Attachments]6:33 PM (1 minute ago)
>The international organization for standardization started looking at 440
>in 1955 and it was established permanently in 1975.  Earlier in 1926 it was
>an informal standard.  In 1936 the American Standard recommended 440, but
>it was not established formally until 1975 which is very recent.  415 is
>indeed about a half step below 440.  Interestingly, Mozart, Debussy, Chopin
>and others wrote in 432 and a lot has been written to support the
>beneficial effects on people of 432 vs 440.  I've also read where 440 was
>not decided upon until 1939 so you can see it's all over the place.  A
>number of modern bands have converted their tunes to 432. 432 supposedly
>effects the right side of the brain(human characteristics)  while 440
>effects the left side(social problems).   The frequencies of the various
>notes can be expressed in whole numbers in the 432 Hz tuning system which
>indicates that 440 is unnatural where 432 is a natural resonance. The 440
>Hz system therefore results in more complex fractions(A=440hz. C=261.63hz
>but at A=432. C=256. whole numbers).
>​Always keep a roll of baling wire and another of duct tape in your car.
>It's amazing how useful it can be.
>OPERA-L on Facebook:
>Modify your settings:

Modify your settings: