Subject: Re: Siepi (was: Parsifal - as heard on WUOT from the Met, today)
From: Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Feb 2018 23:33:48 +0000

Add, for me, Sarastro, Zaccaria and the Manzoni Requiem.

He was a magnificent singer, and his Gurnemanz was defining for
me, but -

while I agree with everything. that has been said about him, there
were nights when he did a quite unpleasant version of speak-sing.
The voice was unfocused, slightly out of tune and verged on "talk".
He was always a magnificent presence, and he was usually a great
vocalist, but there were times when you would rather not have heard
what you did. Sarastro, Zaccaria and Alvise come to mind.

But, he was the definition of Don Giovanni, Filippo, Guardiano, and
Gurnemanz when I saw him in those roles, and he was something
approaching overwhelming in the others not previously noted by me.

Bob