Subject: Siepi (was: Parsifal - as heard on WUOT from the Met, today)
From: "Paul C. Brynan" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:53:17 -0500

I’m glad you mentioned the ‘Death of Seneca’ as sung by Siepi.  I heard him sing it at a
Carnegie Hall recital.  It was both particularly well sung and deeply moving --- I’ve never
forgotten it.  I was fortunate to have heard him a lot at the Metropolitan.  As an operatic artist
(as distinct from a good or great singer, and I do not throw the word “artist” around lightly) he
had it all.  Voice, technique, range, timbre/tone, legato, musicianship, acting and looks.  In
addition he had, when required, the manner of a grand seigneur.  I saw him in many of his
roles:  Don Giovanni, Filippo, Figaro, Basilio, Ramfis, Colline, Oroveso, Padre Guardiano,
Méphistophélès (Gounod), Alvise Badoero, and Gurnemanz (absolutely stupendous and auf

Modify your settings: