Subject: Re: Tunings
From: Michael Liebert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:Sun, 18 Feb 2018 17:35:02 -0500

On Sun, 18 Feb 2018 21:29:14 +0000, Bob Rideout <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> A half step down from 440 would be
>around 415. Or so I've been told.

To go up a half step multiply by the 12th root of 2, so 1.05946 (or so!).

To go down divide by this number or multiply by its reciprocal, 0.94387.

So a half step down from 440 would be 415.30.  (You were close!)

And this is all for equal temperament.  By coincidence I am cataloging my
books and today I cataloged =How Equal Temperament Ruined Harmony (and Why
You Should Care)= by Ross W. Duffin.  (I wasn't convinced!  None of this
makes any difference to me, but I do have a friend who is troubled by pianos.)